20’s and 30’s Leadership scheme
In 2012 Coventry Diocese received funding from the Church Commissioners to run a Leadership Training Scheme for young adults attending churches in Urban Priority Areas (UPAs). The scheme exists to support and train anyone in the 20s and 30s age range who leads groups and activities at their church or has leadership potential. Volunteers on the scheme take part in monthly Learning Communities and also have the opportunity to apply for funding to run a Leadership Project, which will assist their church in growth and encourage their personal leadership development. Training is an important element of the scheme. Participants attend residential weekends, each of which cover the topics of discipleship, leadership and church growth. We also have two Away Days each year which provide an opportunity for everyone on the scheme to come together and learn from each other.
All participants of the scheme can apply for a grant to run a Leadership Project at their church. The idea of the Projects is to assist church growth, as well as encouraging leadership development in individuals. Here are some of the Leadership Projects that have been run by members of the scheme:
• One leader took a group of young people on a mission trip to Bosnia, which had a significant impact upon herself and the young people who went on the trip.
• Two leaders, seeing a need to serve their local community, started a Foodbank at their church.
• Another leader took her church youth group on a residential weekend, during which they did a mixture of outdoor adventure activities and sessions about Christianity.
• The scheme also enabled another leader to set up a community garden in the grounds of their church. There is now a weekly community gardening group who maintain the garden and the fresh produce is given to the Foodbank.
• The scheme has also funded and supported one leader in running an Alpha course in his home.
Members of the scheme have attended residential weekends. Themes throughout the residentials involve personal gifts and passions, (and how these can be used more effectively in their churches) Discipleship and leadership; learning from leadership experiences of those within the group and also different leaders in the Bible.
If you would like to know more or get involved in the Leadership Scheme contact Kim on email@example.com